Since arriving from France in 1851, the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine have dedicated their mission and ministry to addressing the unmet needs of the spiritually, socially, psychologically, physically, or materially underserved in the areas of health, education, and social service. As the congregation grew, the Sisters responded to emerging needs and established hospitals, schools, foundations, and many social services organizations in Cleveland and Canton, Ohio and in South Carolina.
In Canton, the Sisters founded Mercy Medical Center in 1908. The Sisters of Charity Foundation of Canton was endowed in 1996 from the proceeds of a partnership involving Mercy Medical Center. As part of the Foundation’s long-term early childhood initiative, the Early Childhood Resource Center was established in 2000.
The mission of the Sisters of Charity Foundation of Canton is rooted in this history. Through innovative, strategic, and mission-driven grantmaking, the Foundation is committed to making a difference in the lives of the poor and to extending the ministry of the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine.